Monday, November 2, 2009

Memorable Moment From My Short Practicum

One of the most memorable moments of my short practicum occurred during my Principles of Math 11 class, on my first full day of teaching. My faculty advisor was present for my first class. After teaching my first class, a review of linear inequalities for the Honours Math group, I was pretty content with what I had planned. Granted, I needed to work on my habits of staying only in one place during the lesson and having my back to the students while writing on the board, but overall I was quite pleased. The next block began and my faculty advisor left and my sponsor teacher was observing me. That's where everything went downhill. I took up homework problems that were considered difficult by the students and during the explanation, I stumbled on my words at several points. I had not looked at that particular question beforehand so I was doing the problem for the first time on the board. I messed up and made mistakes on 3 occasions. This left me wondering, "Why am I here? Do I still want to teach?"

Luckily, things improved for the third block and by that time, I reassured myself and realized that what I needed to do was learn from my mistake and move forward.

1 comment:

  1. haha Yea don't ever just try to wing it. Well you can, but show them sometimes you don't get it right the first time always.

    ReplyDelete