Monday, October 26, 2009

Short Practicum Update

Even in the midst of all my lesson planning and UBC assignments that need to be one, I wanted to write a little something about my short practicum so that I do not forget about it. I have been working at St. Thomas Aquinas in North Vancouver for the past week, and it has been a teaching eye-opener. The whole secondary school dynamic is something that I had forgotten about, being almost 6 years out of that environment. My sponsor teachers (2) and faculty advisor have been tremendously helpful in guiding me to be a more effective teacher.

I taught my first lessons today: three Principles of Math 11 classes. I learned some things about my teaching style.
  1. No matter how much I try the questions out, I'm bound to forget a negative sign when writing on the whiteboard.
  2. No matter how well laid-out my lesson plan may be, things will get off-track and I will be racing to finish everything.
  3. Timing. Nothing more needs to be said about it.
I hope that I take all my advisors' words to heart and really change my teaching habits. If not for my sake, then for my students' sakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment