Saturday, September 19, 2009

Microteaching Reflection

The microteaching lesson in class went smoothly. I taught my group of 3 (in a sense I re-taught 1 person) how to play Old Maid. Using the 10 minutes, as written in my BOOPPPS lesson plan, I introduced the game, relayed the rules, enacted a small simulation and finally engaged the entire group in playing together. According to the group feedback, the objectives for my lesson were clearly outlined: they would be learning to play Old Maid. The participatory activity and the post-test were very easy to implement, as I could assess whether the group understood the rules by playing Old Maid. The best to learn something (when it is safe to do so) is through the hands-on approach. This is the basis of co-operative education, apprenticeships/internships, and most certainly this applies to playing games. The group found the lesson captivating, interactive and just plain fun, which are all good characteristics for an effective lesson. The only aspects on which I could improve, in their opinion, are a slower explanation of rules and a clearer outline as to what we would be doing.

As is often the case, people are more critical of themselves than others. I believed the engaging activity and introduction were well done, but I could have spent more time planning all possible outcomes. When faced with a possible situation (a "what if" question) I stumbled on my own words because I was not entirely sure about the actual outcome. As a teacher, I will need to prepare for the worst-case scenario as best as I can.

Overall, I believe this microteaching lesson was very effective, not only in teaching others about something that I know, but also in assessing my strengths and weaknesses, how good I am at preparing a lesson and carrying out that lesson plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment